July 12, 2015

50 tips blog

To celebrate reaching (almost) 50,000 subscribers, here are 50 tips for filmmakers.

 

This video is a culmination of my time as a filmmaker – little tips and tricks I’ve picked up over the years, either from other filmmakers or through trial and error.  There are plenty of general tips but also some focusing on Lighting, Sound and business practice.

THIS WEEK’S DSLR GUIDE:

RELATED VIDEOS:

 

EXTRA TIPS

Feel free to tweet me your favourite tip and I’ll add them to this post!

 

BudapestScenes’s Tips

1. Shoot slow, edit slow. It is easy to find yourself in a rush, but at the end it is worth to keep calm, slow, keeping every aspects of filmmaking in mind, double-check everything before hitting record, you can save a lot of headache and wasted time/money/effort when keeping it slow.

2. If you can afford to buy your gear, you can afford to buy 2 external HDDs. Always back up your footage (that you might want to use later) at least twice – HDDs may fail, you may accdentally delete your footage etc.

3. Always buy quality bags to store and bring your gear, you don’t want to break everything just because of saving 30 USD, e.g. due to low quality plastic carbines.

4. Always have spare batteries with you, it might be really frustrating when you have to stop shooting just because of empty batteries for your LED lights. Always have spare cables (audio, USB when neccesary etc.)

5. Anybody can afford a low-cost jib today – always be very careful when setting it up/taking off your camera/counterweights etc. You might easily break your gear that is worth tohusands of dollars.

6. Time on set is very precious – always prepare your gear as much as you can: place batteries, screw quick release plate, check settings etc. in advance.

7. If you don’t have a specific camera monitor, use DSLRController for monitoring on your phone/tablet!

INSTAGRAM HIGHLIGHTS:

A photo posted by Simon Cade (@cadevisuals) on

TAGS:
Simon Cade

Filmmaker, and host of DSLRguide. Since I was making my first film age 11, I have always been fascinated by the way films are produced, and the effect it can have on the audience.

  • Oscar R.

    21. The size of the text doesn’t matter, find the correct FONT that goes with the movie atmosphere.

    Some Inspiration:
    http://annyas.com/screenshots/1980-1984/ (The 40’s used big ones in particular)
    http://www.artofthetitle.com/titles/

  • Stephen Greszczyszyn

    Can you let me know where you source those elastic/bungee toggle ties from? (I live in UK too).

  • John Fishback

    Your tips are excellent. I’d like to expand on your tip for working with actors. Never give an actor a line reading unless they ask. You hire actors because they can find the best path to their character. Your happiest moment will be when an actor comes up with an approach you never thought of. Don’t rob yourself of that possibility by giving a line reading.

  • Laurent d’Otreppe

    You are really hard to understand, tip: articulate. Less than 7% of world population is a native english speaker, hit the remaining 93% by making yourself easy to understand. I played tip #8 twenty times and still can’t understand.

    • Victor “Victory” Xia

      8. Watch the films of Alfred Hitchcock